Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fluency Mini Lesson

Fluency with Officer Buckle and Gloria (Taught 4/13)
            The students I chose to work with me on this mini lesson seemed to be very intrigued and excited they got to go out in the hall and work with me. At first I realized the students were a little confused about the objectives and activity of choral reading. The three students I picked had never heard of that activity so they needed some more explaining before we went any further in the lesson because I wanted to avoid confusion. I was really surprised though when I noticed the students were beginning to understand and say comments like “oh we all read out loud together” and “so you’re going to read with us when we all read”. This showed me that the students were catching on to the objectives of my lesson and were ready to begin and practice their fluency through choral reading. The other thing I noticed with my focus student, Angel, was that she was the only one sitting in the group silently and not participating. After some time and encouragement and questioning from me about the activity she began to participate when we all read together for the choral read. So she seemed out of the conversation while we were having our introduction to the lesson but seemed to perk up and participate during the activity.
            The strengths of this mini lesson were that the students were participating and reading out loud with me for the choral reading, which I had anticipated. Even my focus student was participating and although she was quietly reading I could still see her following along which was a positive sign to me that this was a strength in choral reading. Another strength in this lesson was to see the students be able to read by themselves before we read aloud. When the students were reading silently to themselves before the choral reading they asked me several questions like “what’s this word”? When it came time to do the choral reading the students seemed to stumble much less on the words and be able to remember what the words were from when they were silently reading. The only limitation I felt was very clear in this activity was the students’ enthusiasm while reading. My objective was mainly focusing on the fluency and the students’ prosody rather than the enthusiasm or expression. I realized that all three of the students I worked with seemed to read in a monotone expression rather than having little to some expression like I tried to show them when I read to them before they silently read. It was a little discouraging to see that their expression wasn’t changing but only their fluency and prosody. Their improvement in prosody was a strength that I did observe as well from the three students.
I noticed that, as a teacher, I was trying very hard to have a lot of energy and excitement in my reading. Although this didn’t convey to the students own expression I was trying to be a good example and I did make an effort to do that. Another thing I noticed was that whenever students asked me to help them spell a word that they didn’t when they were reading silently I made sure to remind them to sound it out or ask their neighbor for help. This way I was making myself as the teacher guide a less teacher directed lesson and have the students learn how to work together and help each other.
I guess some questions I have would be how to better incorporate students’ expression into choral reading. My students read along quite well but they lacked their expression as I said before and I would want to improve that for the future. 


THE MINI LESSON:

Your Name:  Kate Bode   Grade Level:  2nd  
           
Date lesson was taught:  4/13 (Friday)  Number of Students: 3

1) Rationale: Students will need to practice and improve fluency through an activity, like choral reading, to help improve comprehension and prosody.

2) List which reading skill/strategy is the main focus of your lesson: Fluency

3) Objective for this lesson: While reading Officer Buckle and Gloria, students will practice fluency through choral reading.

4) Materials & supplies needed: Officer Buckle and Gloria, student’s copies of book in their reading textbook (provided by my MT)

5) OUTLINE OF LESSON PLAN (Provide a bulleted list of ideas):

Introduction to the lesson (5 minutes) 
·  “Today we are going to re-read Officer Buckle and Gloria. Remember when we read this in class a little while ago when I did my lesson? I read to the class instead of having you guys read right? Well I want us to re-visit this book and practice reading together”
·  “Can anyone tell me why it might be important to re-read a book or part of a book they already read? What happens when we re-read? Do we remember stuff from the book better? Do we read faster?”
·  “We are going to be doing what is called ‘choral reading’. What do you think that means?”
·  “Choral reading is when every student reads the same part of the book together out loud with the teacher. Will everyone be reading with me out loud?”

OUTLINE of key events during the lesson (15-20 minutes)
·  After our introduction I will read them the first for 4 pages of the book so they know what part of the book we are reading, I will also be reading with expression and enthusiasm to be an example of how I want the students to read out loud.
·  The only materials the students will need are their copy of the book (which are in their reading textbooks) I will hand these textbooks out to them after I give the instructions
·  Instructions: we are going to be reading the first 4 pages of the book in Officer Buckle and Gloria. First, I want everyone to read these 4 pages to themselves. When everyone is done I want eyes on me so I know you have completed the reading. After this we will be reading aloud with everyone so I want everyone to read through very carefully so they can read with everyone
·  When students are reading to themselves I anticipate that many will be reading silently out loud to themselves and maybe using their finger to point. In order to make sure they are reading I will be monitoring them and if I notice someone is not reading I will sit with them and go through the pages (like my focus student may need me to help reading initially).
·  When everyone is done we will come back together as a group and go over the basic instructions of choral reading: everyone will read aloud with the teacher, follow along with your pointer finger or pencil which ever you prefer to stay on the correct word, read slowly and with expression like the teacher did in the example.
·  I want to also explain that choral reading is a good activity to do in a small group of students or in a large classroom. You can also do it in partners or at home when you’re reading for fun with friends. Choral reading helps you practice your reading speed and allows you to stay connected with the reading so you know what is happening in the book.
·  Ask the students to open to the book page we are on and point to the first word so I know everyone is ready to go and read aloud. Next I want everyone to say the first word with me so we get a feel for how we will be reading out loud. Then we begin our choral reading!
·  During I anticipate to look for students following along with their finger or pencil to make sure they are on the correct word and actually participating and reading aloud. If I see a student not reading I will quietly point to the word we are no and make sure they know where to read and that they need to speak out.
·  After we are all done I want to ask the students to tell me what that part of the book was about? Did they like reading out loud and did it help them remember? Did they find it difficult to keep up? Would they want to do this activity another time?

Closing summary for the lesson (5-10 minutes)
·  After we have read the book together, I want to talk as a group again about why reading out loud and repeatedly is important-to help increase reading ability and better understand the reading content
·  We will discuss if they feel they better understand the reading content or if they feel it didn’t help. How and why did/not help? I want to tell them to try and practice this activity at home maybe with a parent, grandparent, or sibling. If no one will practice with them then I want them to still practice and instead just read aloud to yourself rather than with someone else
·  Reading passages out loud can help students read with more enthusiasm and increase prosody (faster reading) so I want the students to remember this

6) Ongoing-Assessment:
·      Students will be silently whispering to themselves while reading
·      Students are going to be able to read at a quicker pace while still completing reading and not skimming or skipping words
·      If students read together they will be reading out loud as a group
·      Looking for: silent reading to self during silent reading time, finger or pencil following words while they read, less stumbling on unknown words

7) Based on what you know about your focus students, what Academic, Social and/or Linguistic Support will be needed during the lesson? My focus student is Angel, which I have chosen before, because I have been observing her success and ability throughout the year. Sadly, I have not seen much change in her shyness as the year has gone by but I have seen her ability to read improve in small amounts. I want to practice this activity on this student because she needs all the practice she can get with reading aloud. This student needs practice and I would want to sit down and talk with her about this activity before we begin. She gets shy when she doesn’t know what is going on so I would want to prepare her for the activity. I feel that in order to get her to choral read with me I will need to ask her to first read by herself so I can see words that are difficult for her then go back and have the student read with me. I am hoping that since we read together, and she reviewed all the words that she would stumble on, ahead of time then this way she can improve in her choral reading because she knows the words that will be read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment