Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fluency Lesson

Name: Tatianna Johnson
Grade: 2nd
Group:  The Naruto Fighters (a group of five students that are in a low/middle reading group)
Rationale: This lesson is designed for students to learn the importance of varying the pitch, rate and volume of their voices. Putting emphases on different words will alter the meaning of the poem.
Lesson Topic: Fluency through expression
Objective: The students will be able to read through poems by Kenn Nesbitt using pitch, expression, speed, and accuracy to improve fluency.
Materials:
-          Poems
-          Paper
-          Pencil
Introduction:
- I will began the lesson by telling the students what she will be learning today and going over the important elements of reading poems fluently, which included accuracy, expression, pitch, and speed.
-I will go over each element with them by explaining what each means
- I will ask them if any of these elements sound familiar to them, and if so when do they see them being used.
During the Lesson:
-          I will begin by reading a poem by Kenn Nesbitt to the group without expression so that they can hear what it sounds like not to read fluently.
-          The students will be given a copy of the poem I read to them
-          I will ask students what they thought of my reading and what I should change about it.
-          I will then read the poem again this time using everything we discussed about fluency so that they can hear what they should sound like when reading.
-          I will ask the students to then read the poem with me after I have finished reading it.
-          I will then ask them to read it another time to me by themselves using expression, pitch, speed, and accuracy.
-          Once the students have read the poem to me twice I will show them another poem by Kenn Nesbitt and ask them to read it silently to themselves two times through.
-          After the students have read the poem to themselves I will ask each of the students to stand up and read it to the rest of the group using what we learned about fluency.
Closing Summary:
-          After the lesson I will go over what we have learned about fluency and why it is important that we read fluently when reading aloud.
-          I will invite the students to read one of the two poems that we went over during the lesson to the rest of the class.
On-Going Assessment:
-          After the lesson I will ask the students that I was working with to write a short poem (it does not have to be a rhyming poem, it can be a cinquain poem seeing that students have been working on this in class).
-          The students will take them home and practice reading them to their families
-          When I return I will have the group of students read their poems to the Kindergarten class next door.
-          I will publish the students work on the class bulletin board.
       Reflection
       Doing this lesson with the Naruto fighters gave me a better understanding of what they knew about reading fluently. I like the fact that all of the students participated equally in the lesson. When i first read the poem to students all of the recognized the fact that i was not reading fluently. One students asked after i finished reading, "why did you read it without any emotions?", by saying this i knew that she understood that fluent readers change their pitch, tone, and expression when reading. After i read the poem fluently to the group all of them said that it sounded better that way and they were able to identify what i had changed about my reading. When it was their turn to read the poem, all of them read with the same expression as I did, changing their pitch and tone most often. Some students struggled writing their own cinquain poems saying that they could not think of anything to write about. For those students, I worked with them and read created a poem about school lunch. One student enjoyed writing their poem so much that he assisted another student with finishing her poem. For the fact that some of the students did not feel comfortable reading their cinquian poems to rest of the class. I chose to have the three students that wanted to read their poems do so, while the others read the poem we had been working on throughout the lesson. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment