Sunday, February 19, 2012

(i saw traci's post and responded to it but then the post wasnt there so im just going to post this anyway) Traci I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post this week. I could really connect to the adjustment suggestions you had for the students and definitely agreed with your ending paragraph that these adjustments can work for all students not just students like Lupita. When I was reading the assignment about adjustments for individual students I realized that these adjustments are so vital to a students learning but so is another factor. The individual students' school ability history (the ability level a student is coming from) and the students' home life is key to understanding a student on a different level. Each individual child is different. For example, the readings this week about urban students and ELL students is just one way of seeing how each student could be in the same classroom environment but come from different backgrounds or learning experiences. A student who comes from an urban background home life is going to have a different experience than that of an ELL student. These two types of students are going to have different leaning styles or reading /writing abilities and need different strategies for their own success. When Traci mentioned sending home a homework assignments for students to do with their parents, the teacher has to consider the home life that the student lives in. I know in my MT's classroom there is a range of home life styles of each student. My MT ends "homework" home quite often to have the students do with the help of their parents, however, my MT knows only about 2 or 3 students will bring back any type of "answers" to the homework assignments. There is flaw in this homework assignment though and that is that my MT will never grade or enforce the homework assignments she sends home. Students know that my MT does not grade or check their homework so doing it at home is not that important. I think my teacher needs to assign certain types of assignments based on the students needs for practice in certain learning aspects. That way the students can connect with the homework on a different level and not just one generic level of work. My MT also needs to reinforce this homework so that her students will work toward completing these homework assignments rather than ignoring them. I guess my point in my post compared to Traci's is that even those the teacher needs to find certain adjustments and ways that help each individual child, while understanding each individual students background, the teacher just also learn how to grade appropriately and make sure positive reinforcement is coming from these assignments or activities so students see that these types of activities are vital to their learning. What my MT is doing right now, by ignoring the results the students bring back for their homework assignments, is showing the students that my MT doesn’t care about who brings back the homework results because she won't be checking the students work or progress over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment